Saturday, October 15, 2011

It's Dr. Scudder, If You're Nasty


Yeah, I'll apologize in light of that remarkably bad pun (especially since I went out of my way to broadcast, and mock, that astonishingly bad Tsonga Sung Blue headline pun the other day). As I've been considering the idea of putting together a top fifty list of things to do in the UAE I was planning on including seeing a concert, although I was focusing my attention on Metallica's visit next week. As is so often the case in my life over the last few years, that plans changed. I was sitting around at the Radisson Blu happy hour on Thursday night when the amazing Rafael (more on him later - he deserves his own post) showed up with free Janet Jackson tickets. Now, I'm not a fan, but free is free.


The concert itself was held at an open air arena at the formula one race track about a ten minute walk from my hotel. Now, it took a lot longer than ten minutes, but that is because we drove, which led to a misadventure which turned the ten minute walk into an hour drive. The concert was OK. It was billed as a number one hits concert, although it was further proof of how little contact I have with popular culture because I didn't know many of the songs. Too many of the songs were slow ballads, which I'm not opposed to if you have the voice, but she, much like her brother, just doesn't have the pipes. Still, it was fun to get out of the hotel, and it launched what proved to be a crazy weekend.


I ended up spending my time at the concert with Tanja and Laura, usually just referred to as the Evil Twins (although I am promoting She Monkeys, which is related to one of the films playing at the Abu Dhabi Film Festival). On the surface they would seem to have almost nothing in common (Tanja is Serbian while Laura is a Brit), but they are fast friends and inseparable. It was great to go out with them, but they ran me ragged (although they dismissed it as a slow evening).

No comments: