Monday, October 17, 2011

First Dragon Boat Practice


But not the last. Unlike some people I could mention but won't, mainly because I'm sworn to protect the identity of this thirty year old British slacker who was doubtless sitting back in room 137 of the Radisson Blu Hotel rereading Anna Karenina (this could be anyone, of course), I showed up Saturday afternoon for our first dragon boat practice. Zayed University is actually sponsoring two teams, and our team, Team 2, the winning team, wasn't scheduled to practice until 4:00, which was better than the fate that awaited the first team, Team 1, the losing team, which had to practice in hotter weather at 2:00.


Truthfully, when I arrived at the insanely posh Shangra-la Hotel I was not in the mood for rowing out under the hot Emirati sun for two hours (and the mad dog and Englishmen, although obviously not certain Englishwomen, line really resonated). That said, it was actually a lot of fun. Champlain always fields a team for our dragon boat race at home, but, being by nature contrary, I have never participated, much to the chagrin of my friends who do. Why? I don't know. I've eaten chicken wings for charity and pulled fire trucks for charity and been dunked for charity, but somehow never participated in the dragon boat race. However, comrades, I am here making a pledge that if I return to Champlain I will definitely participate next year.


On our team's boat we had around twenty people, with only room for one more hypothetical Englishwoman. The first thing we needed to do was get some training on how to get on the boat and general safety, and then suddenly we were out on the water. Under the generally gentle prodding of our instructor we eventually figured things out, although at the beginning there was mainly a lot of splashing and so many oars clashing together that it sounded like an out-take from Robin Hood and Little John contesting for mastery of a log. I was seated next to a younger Zayed guy named Matt who was almost as big as me - and, logically, we were placed in the center, widest, part of the boat. Still, we also had to learn how to lift the oars is a very specific way, straight over our heads, so that we didn't end up braining the person sitting next to us. By the end we were doing a pretty fair job of it, although, truthfully, I think we were about one missing Englishwoman short of being truly amazing (I'm just saying). It was also a great experience because it gave me the chance to meet new people, which is not something I'm particularly good at doing. Luckily, I did know a few people, who introduced me to other people, and so my circle of friends is growing. Emma, a friend of Liane, and another Kiwi, was also on Team 2, and had the misfortune to be placed up front and instructed to shout out the commands of One Two One Two to keep us in rhythm, and by the end she could barely speak. It was hard enough focusing on breathing without having to also worry about shouting out cadence for the entire time, so thankfully I was not given that chore. By the end I was exhausted and soaked, in between splashing and sweat, from head to toe. After stumbling out of the boat I strolled into the Shangra-la as if I actually stayed there and took a shower, which made me a little more presentable when I immediately went off to the Film Festival (Emma was kind enough to give me a ride because she was also heading down to the Festival).


So, exhausting, but really wonderful. Just being out on the water and watching the sun setting over the Grand Mosque made the entire adventure worthwhile. One more practice next Saturday at 4:00, and then the race itself the weekend after. Oh, and when I was showering at the Shangra-la I actually got a cramp IN MY CHEST! Bloody hell, it hurt, and that was definitely a first. Nevertheless, I will be there next Saturday, doubtless in the company of a chastised and wiser anonymous Englishwoman.

No comments: