Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Voodoo


So I was going through the pictures on my phone when I came across these funny shots from New Orleans. I posted so much about the Oklahoma and New Orleans trip on the OKexcellence blog, and didn't spend any time on those trips in this blog. Maybe I'll steal a few pictures and just write some commentary, especially about the Creation Museum outside Cincinnati, which still makes my head hurt. These pictures were taken at the Voodoo Museum in New Orleans, not surprisingly. We were discussing syncretic religions the other day in my class and I used voodoo as an example, so I'm doubly inspired to get the pictures up. The first is of me making a new friend. It is the pet snake of the museum owner/currator/voodoo priest, who was nice enough to let me handle the beast. The second shot is of the excellent Steve Wehmeyer posing with a mask at the museum. I can't say enough about Steve, who has quickly become one of my best friends and favorite people on the planet. He could not have been a better tour guide or truer friend on the trip, and I really should post an edited version of our crazy trip down Bourbon Street the last night with Andy's credit card (maybe this weekend). Steve has been travelling to New Orleans for years so I received the true inside scoop, and I can't wait to go back to Nawlins with him again.

1 comment:

KBL said...

That mask looks like a crude Darth Vader mask. And OMG, spell check caught that I was spelling "Vader" wrong...